Fabulous Fotography Friday: Surf's Up!


Well it’s another Friday and I’ve been saving these photos up special. As I mentioned in my previous post “I’m a leaving on a jet plane,” I wanted to make sure my vaycay to SoCal included a trip to the beach to play in the waves with my nephews and niece. I absolutely love those kids. Each one is such an individual spirit, they have been since they were very little. I get to spoil them rotten and a visit from Aunt Optimist is always a hit. Well, I got my wish!

We packed our food and swimsuits and headed off to Huntington Beach. I had a truly great and memorable time. I bought the kids new boogie boards and we hit the waves. There were some gnarly rip tides and the life guard asked us to stay in the first two sets of waves. He had 18 rescues that day. I could tell it was a bit harsh once I felt the surf and I kept a close eye on the kids. Even the smaller waves were very fun and you could easily catch and ride a wave for about twenty feet to shore. We played in the water for hours and didn’t get out of the waves until sunset when the life guards kicked everyone out of the water.

I rode a few good waves in honor of Jill and Clare and Sprogblogger as they were all waxing poetic in comments about playing in the waves. I didn’t bring my Nikon to the beach (too much sand) but I did use my little compact camera. I think I snapped a couple of good photos. Enjoy a day playing in the Pacific Ocean with us!

ArrivedGetReady

Here we are all at the beach. We just arrived and the kids bolted straight to the shore to play in the sand. I have 3 nephews (ZMan, Kenz & DrJ) and one niece (MissD).

BuryingJ NiceTatas

ZMan had to bury DrJ and was “making him into a mermaid” which must include really big ta tas. They were both giggling like crazy. Why are b00bs so funny to boys? Oh wait. Nevermind. ;-)

ActionShot

I stayed close to the youngest two (9 and 11) and we really enjoyed playing on the boogie boards. I taught my nephew DrJ how to tell which were the best waves for riding versus skipping. He may have drank about a gallon of salt water before he got the hang of jumping to the top of the wave to ride it instead of letting it crash onto the top of him. He got pretty good after a couple of hours.

NephewWave NephewZ

My older nephews Kenz and ZMan were naturals. They had a great time and bugged me to take them back to the beach in a couple of days. Unfortunately we couldn’t swing it, but I want to go back soon!

NieceRidingWaves SandSculptureTurtle

Here’s my niece MissD bringing it home on a nice little wave. We found a really cool sand sculpture of a turtle on the beach near our blankets.

ZHeadsIn BuriedKWave

ZMan had fun in the water. He wanted to go out to ride the back set of waves. I was concerned about the rip tides and asked him not to. He was really great and stayed in where he could keep an extra eye on his smaller brothers and sister. Kenz was having fun buried up to his waist in the shore. What a clown. He has decided he wants long hair like Uncle MrBeep. I sure love that kid.

JatSunsetSunsetBoy

The sunset just got better and better as the evening went on. I really wished I had my good camera to get the some really fabulous hi-definition shots, but these turned out pretty good.

SunsetILoveYou

My SIL took a picture of MissD, Me and DrJ as we returned from the waves at sunset. I have a special message if you look closely enough. I was sooo happy. I had a great time. We stayed until the last hint of the sunset faded from view. It was absolutely marvelous.

BeachSunset

Thanks for spending a day at the Pacific with me and my favorite kids.

12 comments on "Fabulous Fotography Friday: Surf's Up!"

Sprogblogger on July 24, 2009 at 4:22 PM said...

Oh man, I miss the Pacific ocean! The Atlantic is nice & all, but you (obviously) don't get the sunsets, and the water isn't as wonderful, and the sand isn't as soft.

California.

Sigh.

Beautiful Mess on July 24, 2009 at 4:52 PM said...

SOOOOO MUCH FUN!!!! The shots are beautiful! You did a really great job, even if it wasn't with you secondary camera.
*HUGS*

Kate on July 24, 2009 at 5:41 PM said...

LOVE these photos and how great to spend the "day" with you there. The light! the water!
the ta tas! Looks just amazing in every way.

we love you too. I'm just sayin'.

-Kate

Sunny on July 24, 2009 at 6:14 PM said...

Wow, I do feel like I just spent a day at the beach! What awesome pictures, makes me want to grab a boogie board and hit the waves myself. :) How wonderful that you share these fun memories with your niece and nephews.

twondra on July 25, 2009 at 6:02 AM said...

Looks like so much fun!! Good luck with your IVF

Tammy
ICLW #12

Pie on July 26, 2009 at 7:19 AM said...

what a lovely day! Thanksf for taking me along (in pictures!)

Anonymous said...

I was just at Huntington Beach on Memorial Day weekend, it was so much fun although we just watched the surfers and weren't brave enough/didn't have enough time to try it ourselves.
Thanks for the pictures, they are beautiful and bring back some memories of our experience there!

cheryllookingforward on July 26, 2009 at 3:45 PM said...

The mermaid is so funny! And the Turtle looks great. Looks like you had a wonderful time!

Michelle on July 26, 2009 at 7:08 PM said...

Those are gorgeous pictures. It looks like so much fun!

One Who Understands on July 27, 2009 at 10:09 AM said...

Love your Friday pictures! Looks like you guys had a lot of fun. SoCal is so beautiful.

Barefoot on July 27, 2009 at 1:26 PM said...

That looks like so much fun!! I'm always bummed that the water is soooo coooold up here in SF.

Petrucia on July 27, 2009 at 3:50 PM said...

wow! great photos! what a wonderful day.
i never went into the pacific ocean because it's too cold it seems. I hope it was a bit warmer where you were at.
:)

ICLW

 

IF Optimist, then... Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved - Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez