Why the title IF Optimist, then…?


Recently, I decided it was important for me to start a blog about my journey to hopefully, one day have a family.  When I started to think about what I wanted to accomplish with it, I had two main goals.  The first was to provide a safe place where I could express my thoughts and emotions.  The second was to provide a few links and information on topics I found difficult to research on my own. 

Yes yes, but why specifically did I chose the title “IF Optimist, then…”

In computer programming, one basic rule is called a conditional programming.  You set a rule:

IF “x” happens, THEN do “y”.

I liked choosing “if, then” for both the computer geek connection and also because if = infertility.  Here is a little description from the wikipedia article link above.

If-Then(-Else)

The if-then construct (sometimes called if-then-else) is common across many programming languages. Although the syntax varies quite a bit from language to language, the basic structure (in pseudocode form) looks like this:

If (condition) Then
(statements)
Else
(statements)
End If

I also chose “IF Optimist, then…” because I needed to be optimistic about this journey.  I may be fortunate enough to be rewarded with a marvelous gift if I am lucky.  Now, don’t get me wrong, I don’t think that mere optimism or happy thoughts will get you pregnant and the typical “just relax” advice is kind of bullshit.  No amount of relaxing was going to magically remove the tumor from my uterus. OK?  That being said, I still wanted to view this unfortunate process in an optimistic way to help keep me sane.  I find this a difficult and nerve-wracking time.  I think everything you can do to set your mind at ease is of great benefit.  I can’t change all of the negative statistics, frightening medicines with their side effects, or the costs that make me feel sick to my stomach.  I can, however, choose to keep my mind in a place of hope.

3 comments on "Why the title IF Optimist, then…?"

JJ on May 9, 2009 at 8:31 AM said...

I just watched the Michael J Fox program on his new book--and its all about being an optimist. HOPE is so important to hold onto in this journey-but I know some days its easier than others. Ill keep you company when the days are difficult--and celebrate with you on the good days=)

PS Got my OMG package! Cant WAIT to open it--hope yours has arrived--we really did have to ship 'cross country to each other, huh?

IF Optimist, then... on May 11, 2009 at 3:24 PM said...

I so very much appreciate your support. I may check out that book from the library. I was so excited when I got my package. It stared at me on my desk...taunting...forbidden...exciting.

Barefoot on May 11, 2009 at 3:51 PM said...

Thanks for your kind note on my blog! Good luck getting things started.....and I love the name of your blog! I have most definitely tried to be an optimist throughout this whole journey...it's my default setting. :)

 

IF Optimist, then... Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved - Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez