Fabulous Fotography Friday: Discovery Park


DSC_0533

It was a great week to take a hike, so a great friend and I hit Discovery Park in Seattle. I managed to get several good photos and wanted to share a few. Put on your virtual hiking boots and come on a hike with me. :-)

DSC_0535
We started out by walking down some a steep staircase. As you descend, the shade cools your skin and you are surrounded by ferns. The smell of cedars and fir trees hit your nose. It is summer and the scent is warm and earthy.

There are a million little things to notice as you walk. Spiders spin their webs, tiny wildflowers are trying to find a little patch of sun.

It is a great walk and I even had to put away my camera so I could use my hands to climb down a cliff in order to get to the next path.

We walked for quite a ways until the path opened up to the beachfront.

DSC_0563 There was tons of driftwood. The grasses and wildflowers blew in the breeze. I managed to catch this one with my macro lens when the wind died down for a few seconds.

DSC_0542

DSC_0575 Little ole me standing at the end of the beach where it reaches the bottom of the cliff. It is an interesting close up view of the geology of Puget Sound (glaciers carved this area). You can see the striations on the wall. My friend took a geology class in college and was explaining some of it to me. It was really neat! I asked him to snap a photo of me. I’ve got my awesome Asolo hiking boots and hat on!

DSC_0623We started the steep climb from the beach to the top of the bluff. It was nice to be back in the shaded cool forest and when my legs were about to turn to jelly, we finally reached the top of the bluff. A bald eagle flew by and I got a pic, but it was a little fuzzy. Then several Ospreys riding the updrafts and swooping near the cliff edge came along. I managed to get a good picture of this fellow below (click the pic for a bigger view).

DSC_0625

DSC_0643 At the end of the day we were bushed! I decided that since I was not in the 2WW just yet that we could enjoy a refreshment at Prost! I enjoyed a very refreshing weissbier. My friend enjoyed a huge stein (1 litre actually) of Bitburger Pilsner. He got a little buzzed and silly by the end of the glass, but that’s half the fun, right?

I hope you liked the photos, I was a tad late in publishing them, but I did so before I went to bed, so I count it as still being Friday.

Any good hikes or walks for you lately? I always enjoy seeing pictures when I read your blogs. It's like a mini-vacay and always brings a smile to my face.

About Fabulous Fotography Friday:
As I mentioned in my prior post “
Guess my number, win a prize” I was going to grab the ole Nikon and spend some of my 2 week waits taking and editing pictures. To save any of these photos for your very own, just click on the picture. A new window will open and show you the larger (higher-resolution) version, then right-click on the big image and choose “Save Picture As…” in Internet Explorer (“Save Image As…” in Firefox). They make awesome desktop images.

9 comments on "Fabulous Fotography Friday: Discovery Park"

FET Accompli on July 4, 2009 at 3:59 AM said...

Beautiful pictures! My favourites are the top one, the one with driftwood, and the osprey. That must have been an amazing hike.

'Murgdan' on July 4, 2009 at 6:06 AM said...

I don't know what I find more beautiful right now...the beach or the beer. I love pics too.

Pie on July 4, 2009 at 9:55 AM said...

Lovely! Thanks for the virtual vacation and sunshine!

Kate on July 4, 2009 at 10:04 AM said...

Those are amazing photos, and the descriptions took me on a little mini-break too!
I particularly love #1 and #3. #1 totally captures the solitude and peace of that lonely bench. #3 you can just feel the breeze coming off the water, and reducing the feeling of baking in the sun just a little bit.
You're starting to inspire me to post a few of the photos we've taken on some great vacations in the past. I love seeing where other people have been, and looking for inspiration as to where to go next.
My DH (German) would be very jealous of your tasty Weissbier and the Pils! Maybe it's a good thing that the second driver is free on our rental car next week in Europe - he can feel free to have a few, as long as he's sober enough to show me the way home. :)

Clare on July 5, 2009 at 2:17 AM said...

Wow beautiful pics! Sounds like a fabulous day - i love walking too and i miss the sea so much!! Thanks for sharing with us.

Barefoot on July 5, 2009 at 6:13 PM said...

Thanks for the virtual hike! I meant to get my lazy ass out for a bit of a hike today, but it didn't happen.

Yum, Weissbier. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who likes it!!

Sunny on July 5, 2009 at 8:01 PM said...

Ooooh, I love the pictures! This is exactly why I love the Pacific Northwest. I am so won over on this place, I never expected to be so happy here. Now I just have to get in shape... the one-mile-round-trip hike at Snoqualmie Falls ("tourist hike") had me totally winded. :/

cowboyboot lady on July 7, 2009 at 12:22 PM said...

I love your pics! What a beautiful hike down to the ocean. I love it. We don't have an ocean here, but I often take pics of lakes.

You take some really great pics. I attempted to use my SLR over the weekend, but I had technical difficulties... Check out my pics of a SE Missouri farm!

One Who Understands on July 8, 2009 at 10:48 AM said...

Love these photos! I would like to think I would walk a whole lot more if I have this kind of beauty all around me.

 

IF Optimist, then... Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved - Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez