It all started with a snuggle…


Wednesday was scheduled for my day 5 embryo transfer.  I made it and was soooooo happy that morning.  I started in my favorite way…with a snuggle.  This time I decided this time to skip the pre-transfer acupuncture session and traded that time for extra hugs and calm assurances.  MrBeep is a snugglebug and this makes me a very very happy girl indeed.

I brought all the magic juju I could think of.  Naturally I had on my wedding ring, but on my other hand I wore my great-grandmother’s ruby cluster ring.  On my neck I wore my grandmother’s locket she gave me to wear on my wedding day.  My grandpa gave it to her when they were dating, over sixty years ago.  I also wore a jade and gold necklace my mom gave me.  I picked it out for her on a visit to San Francisco when I was about 7 years old.  I always loved that necklace and she gave it to me as a wedding gift.  I wore her mother’s earring in one ear and JJ’s earring in the other ear.  Counting my wedding ring, it was 4 generations of luck on one side of the family and three generations on the other.  I even wore my favorite nifty socks.  ;-)  After morning prep, ensuring full bladder uncomfortability stage and popping a happy pill, I was whisked off headed to the RE’s office. 

We arrived and were greeted by the staff with many wishes of good luck   I slipped into a sexy hospital gown number and was covered with warm blankets.  I love the warm blankets.  MrBeep got to wear pretty blue scrubs.  FYI - Many aspects were similar to last time in terms of how an embryo transfer is performed, the prep and procedure.  If you are curious, you can read about it in my prior post, “Showin’ and Tellin’ about my little monsters.”

We relaxed in the room a while when DrKAwesome stopped by to give us the embryologist’s report.  All six embryos were still alive at day 5 and they had 3 who were in the best shape and a little farther along in development.  They had successfully reached the early blastocyst stage.  As a review, we got 18 eggs, out of those 14 were mature and 10 fertilized normally using ICSI.  At day 3 6 looked pretty good, so they decided to go for a day 5 transfer, my RE office generally only does this if 5 or more are looking good. You may ask, why is keeping track of how embryos are doing is important?  There have been very specific studies at Stanford University that look the likelyhood of getting pregnant on an IVF cycle.

The researchers found that four factors—total number of embryos, number of eight-cell embryos, percentage of embryos that stopped dividing and would die, and the woman’s follicle-stimulating hormone level, a measurement that estimates ovarian function—were most important in determining a woman’s chance of becoming pregnant. The four together were 70 percent accurate in predicting whether the current IVF cycle would result in a pregnancy.

The researchers also found that these four factors were more predictive than any single measure of the actual transferred embryo(s). An individual embryo could meet all the criteria for a transfer, but if the IVF cycle produced a small number of embryos, few eight-cell embryos and a high percentage of embryos that stopped dividing, the woman’s chance of getting pregnant could actually be quite low.

“If you talk with IVF patients or doctors, they wouldn’t be surprised” to hear that the quality of all embryos in a cycle—not just the transferred one—matters, Yao said. “But it’s important to go beyond intuition and to prove it scientifically, in order to move the field forward.”

You can find the full article here.  http://med.stanford.edu/news_releases/2008/july/IVF.html.  I know this is not 100% sure, but it does a lot to put my mind and heart at ease during the 2WW.  Many of my ladies already know this, but after 40 this becomes an even scarier notion.  It is a big indicator of whether you will be refused/discouraged to use your own eggs and move on to donor.  I have no problem with donor.  I think the idea is fabulous and I am so happy it is an option for my friends and maybe some day for me down the road, but I wanted at least one good cycle.  At least one good try before giving up on my own DNA. I would have made me very sad to have lost the race the minute after I stepped out of the gate.  It also made me feel a lot better to know that even if this doesn’t work, we have a protocol that works well for my body.  I didn’t want to be out of options there either. 

We discussed a few issues with DrKAwesome and then decided (due to my age) to transfer….

.

.

(wait for it)

.

.

(can you feel the tension?)

.

.

♥♥♥ 3 ♥♥♥

 

That’s right my wonderful bloggidy friends.  I’ve got 3 lil’ blasty monsters baking away in here.  After the transfer, we went home.  I rested in bed and got more happy warm snuggles.  Later in the evening MrBeep treated me to one of my favorite restaurants.  I had, as a tribute to my day with soo many people being up in my ladybusiness, spaghetti alla puttanesca. “How is the whore’s crotch?” MrBeep would ask me.  “Simply Divine” I would answer and we laughed and laughed. 

So c’mon my little monsters.  I know your journey has been long and hard. 

Snuggle in.

20 comments on "It all started with a snuggle…"

Sprogblogger on October 12, 2009 at 7:38 AM said...

Snuggle in, indeed! WOOOHOOOOOO!!!!! Sounds like the beginning of a fantastic relationship. What proto-babies wouldn't want to stick around in a household so filled with love and laughter. Wishing all the best for this cycle, and that the next two weeks FLY by. Thinking of you!

Sunny on October 12, 2009 at 7:41 AM said...

Snuggle in, little sweeties! Mommy is going to take great care of you for the next 8 1/2 months... and forever after that.

I am so excited for you, I can hardly wait until beta. When is the big day, by the way?! Will you test early, or do you have more willpower than I do?! We must know!!!

One Who Understands on October 12, 2009 at 7:42 AM said...

Three balsts sounds like great odds to me! Hold on little embies. I am so happy for you!

Pie on October 12, 2009 at 7:49 AM said...

This is great! I hope they snuggle in very close, and you have a very happy beta day very soon - wait, when? This week, right?Keeping all cross-able body parts crossed for the 3 embies!

The Steadfast Warrior on October 12, 2009 at 8:17 AM said...

Sounds like you're on your way! Really hoping for the happiest outcome this cycle! Go Monsters Go!!! :)

Fertility Chick on October 12, 2009 at 8:46 AM said...

Yay!! Wonderful news!! Snuggle in there, embies! Happy day! :)

Kate on October 12, 2009 at 9:09 AM said...

Sounds like things went well today. Each day that is a good day is so important. My fingers are crossed for you.

jill on October 12, 2009 at 10:12 AM said...

That is wonderful! I have such beautiful thoughts for you for this cycle! I can't wait to hear the results :)

K on October 12, 2009 at 2:57 PM said...

Wow! Thanks for the long-awaited update. So happy everything went so well for you. Been thinking about you and hoping all was good. It all sounds so promising. Are you going to POAS??

Kate on October 12, 2009 at 3:31 PM said...

sounds just fabulously wonderfully great.
what a nice start!
here's hoping
ok, I am MORE than hoping, I am getting into some serious imploring of the gods/goddess/all--that-is.

xo
kate

Anonymous said...

that is FABULOUS!!! It could not get better than that - I am super excited for you and hope that you have the shortest, easiest, best 2ww ever.

irrationalexuberance on October 12, 2009 at 4:03 PM said...

This is such a warm happy positive post. Thanks for reminding us that this doesn't always have to completely suck! (It's a low bar to meet, I know, but sometimes I forget!). Best of luck with the little snugglebunnies.

Ann on October 12, 2009 at 6:03 PM said...

Beautiful! Lots of sticky thoughts coming at you. Hang in there and try to stay busy. This is the hardest part. We'll keep you company! Visualize your baby (or two) in your arms.

Can't wait for your BFP in a few days!!!

JJ on October 12, 2009 at 7:11 PM said...

I love that an earing went along for good juju! And yay for 3! Thinking so many happy thoughts for you!

Mad Hatter on October 12, 2009 at 7:21 PM said...

Could it get any better than that? What a wonderful day and much love and stickiness to your little embies! Wishing only the best for you!!
Love,
Maddy

Clare on October 13, 2009 at 12:35 PM said...

Wow! What a day! It sounds like it all went really well! Good luck to your 3 little embies, stick stick stick! There's an award waiting for you on my blog! XX

Kate on October 13, 2009 at 1:15 PM said...

Yay for 3 great blasts! Did any others make it to freeze? And dare I be rude enough to ask how old you are? I'm sure it's somewhere on your blog, but I'm just too lazy to go searching. I sure hope 1-2 of them stick and come home with you in 9 months or so!

Beautiful Mess on October 14, 2009 at 10:20 AM said...

Awwww YAY!!! I'll be sending you lots of "snuggling in" thoughts and vibes. Glad it was a good day. I hope you're feeling well today, too.
*HUGS*

kate on October 20, 2009 at 9:53 AM said...

Eerie! I had my transfer on the 12th, too. I also had 18 eggs retrieved of which 14 were mature and 10 fertilized with ICSI. I had 8 that looked good on day 3, and ultimately had three that looked great on day 5, but only transferred two (I had one more that caught up on day 6, and so I ended up with two frozen).

I just read your stats and thought, MAN. I am reading about myself!!!

kate on October 20, 2009 at 9:56 AM said...

durr. Just realized that your transfer was on the 7th, not the 12th. But still. Lots of coincidences! I'm waiting on my beta today, but unlike you, I am WEAK and have tested several times at home, and it appears to be positive. Still holding my breath until the numbers are official, though.

 

IF Optimist, then... Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved - Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez