I ♥ My Superior Geek Skillz


I’m back!!!  I actually sat on my couch with my tea service tray on my lap, my computer repair toolbox next to me and took apart my laptop.  I suspected that the water spill totally killed my trackpad and caused the problem where I couldn’t boot up any more.  The BIOS had no option to disable the trackpad via that method, so I wanted to try to manually disconnect the flex circuit from the motherboard and try that.  I figured, “Hey, I’ve got nothing to lose at this point.” 

I would have just bought another laptop at any other time (my current one is about 6 years old), but I wanted to “get my geek on” and I have a really specific laptop in mind to replace this old one.  It will have the next leap in CPU technology with a quad-core processor (instead of the current dual-core).  This will allow me to do both digital photography and advanced video and editing with my laptop.  I can only do this on my big horking desktop right now.  I spilled the water on this laptop in early March and the next gen laptop is rumored to come out in April or May 2010. 

Getting to the trackpad connection was a total bitch. I had to remove all screws (except for those that hold the screen together), disconnect the screen from the motherboard and chassis, remove all peripherals (optical drive, RAM, hard drive, and wifi card), remove all plastic covers, doors, disconnect and reroute all internal wires and cables.  Luckily I had another laptop with a schematic of the internals nearby.  I took a good forty minutes to get the danged thing apart when finally I disconnected the flex cable leading from the trackpad to the motherboard.  *WHEW*

Next it took another forty minutes to get the blasted thing put together again.  I left a few panels off, didn’t finish tightening all the screws (a computer nerd’s Hail Mary trick), plugged it in and hit the exposed ON button at the top of the circuit board

THE LAPTOP BOOTED RIGHT UP!  I logged in to my account, got on the network, checked a few pages on the internet, then shut down.  YAY!!!!  I finished assembling all the final pieces, had MrBeep get a trackball mouse from the other room and voila, I am back in the virtual world.  Now I can check DrGoogle all I want, watch my netflix stuff, get a little facebook amusement, play games, and most importantly, post and keep up with the ALI community.  Me = Happycamper.

I talked to the grrrl monsters all the way through the process.  There were kicking around and jostling the tea tray with the parts in response.  I will absolutely teach them how to troubleshoot and repair computers when they grow up. Girl Geeks Unite!

20 comments on "I ♥ My Superior Geek Skillz"

jill on March 27, 2010 at 5:41 PM said...

You go geek girl! Congrats on getting your laptop to work again, that's impressive :) Fixing it was a great way to keep you entertained for a while of your bedrest. I wouldn't specifically classify myself as a geek but I'm sure being married to one has rubbed off on me a bit.

(oh and I love trackballs - using one right now in fact! haha)

Sunny on March 27, 2010 at 6:13 PM said...

*bows down to your geeky awesomeness*

Well done T! Bedrest without laptop is cruel and unusual punishment. Glad you are back online, we missed hearing from you more often.

Mrs. Gamgee on March 27, 2010 at 6:17 PM said...

I am in awe of your geek skillz! I'm so lame, I actually had to take my laptop in for service to get rid of a re-direct virus. (but hey... that's what extended warrantees are for)

Glad that you are back in the land of the internet!

(And just for added geekiness... the word verification I have is 'spock'... lol)

sprogblogger on March 27, 2010 at 6:43 PM said...

Mad geek skillz, sista! I am so very impressed. Computer innards scare the hell out of me, and I am totally in awe of people who can disassemble & then reassemble said innards. Damn!

Rotten on March 27, 2010 at 8:19 PM said...

AWESOME!! The things you will do when you are stuck at home eh?? You reminded me of the fateful day I spilled apple juice in my Apple (ahh the irony) and took it apart one tiny screw at a time. I replaced the keyboard and all is well with it now. Girl Geeks RULE!

none on March 27, 2010 at 8:33 PM said...

Go on with your BAD self! Well done.

Suzy on March 27, 2010 at 10:22 PM said...

Ok I understood about 3% of that post but well done you! I would be useless as I do not know anything much at all about computers!

Kate on March 28, 2010 at 4:33 AM said...

Wow. Why didn't I read about you computer geek status in your description before telling you to dry out the computer and try again?
Congrats on a sucessful reair mission!!

Kate on March 28, 2010 at 4:35 AM said...

OK, I just read my commet on your last post, and I didn't tell you to dry it out thoroughly. Either someone else also had a laptop spill, or I'vefficially lost it!

Clare on March 28, 2010 at 7:22 AM said...

I have no idea what most of your post meant but that's cos i am an ignoramus when it comes to these things - luckily for you you are a complete genius I can see! Hugs to you and baby monsterettes

Pie on March 28, 2010 at 7:45 AM said...

Holy geekfest, Batman! I am duly impressed.

Welcome back to the interwebs!

Kate on March 29, 2010 at 7:39 AM said...

You rock!
and yes, I am in awe.

Neither of these things is new.

XOXO
kate

K on March 29, 2010 at 11:17 AM said...

Not to be redundant, but you DO rock. :) And I'm like a deer in the headlights reading about what you did to your puter. But hey, you're back (nice to hear from you) monsters are good, and all is well. Amen. :)
Ok, secretly, I was getting nervous that we hadn't heard anything.

kimbosue on March 29, 2010 at 1:05 PM said...

Totally awesome! I hereby bequeath my geek crown to you!

Beautiful Mess on March 30, 2010 at 9:51 AM said...

WOOOHOO way to go YOU! That's pretty awesome! I'm damn impressed, I'd be WAY to scared to do that.
*HUGS*

K on April 3, 2010 at 10:49 AM said...

checking up on you and your ticker....the magic number has arrived... :)

Christa on April 3, 2010 at 8:29 PM said...

Checking in for an update...thinking of you.

..al on April 3, 2010 at 11:30 PM said...

I love you, geek-o!

Glad that you can post now...


What is up with you....March 27 - April 4 today.....what's up?


Take Care, and I hope everything is fine!

Pie on April 4, 2010 at 8:15 AM said...

Just checking on you - it's been a week and I'm wondering how you are. Update when you can.

Kate on April 5, 2010 at 3:38 PM said...

sending love
squooshy love
say, let's imagine I might be in portland the end of the month
if I make it north to Seattle, any chance I could meet you? if you need no excitement I will simply take it off my maybe list.
xoxo
kate

 

IF Optimist, then... Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved - Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez