Checkups and Ultrasounds and Migrations


I went to my ObDoc appointment, the Grrl Monster’s heartbeats sounded good, the ginormous belly is measuring well, blood pressure staying steady.  The swab showed I have a minor infection starting, so I have been put on antibiotics, this was expected since I had been bleeding in the last week and both of my docs called blood “an excellent culture medium” for bacteria.  I have finally gained some weight.  WOOT!  I hadn’t gained anything in the past 5 weeks, despite eating good food pretty much all day long.  I am finally up 15 lbs (I don’t count the pre-pregnancy 2xIVF meds additional 10 lbs). Now, I’m not some frail petite little thing, so I have plenty of “maternal stores” if needed.  I did the gestational diabetes (GD) test where you drink the kool-aid stuff and then they draw your blood an hour later to see if you seem to have GD.  I haven’t received any results yet, but hope to find out more by the end of the week.  I’ve heard and read the whiney horror stories of people who do this test and you know what?  The kool-aid type extremely sugary beverage they make you drink is no big deal (I opted for “fruit punch” flavor).  Is it really sweet?  Yes.  Is it too sweet?  Yes.  Would you buy this as a favorite beverage in a convenience store?  No. Is it something worth making a big deal about?  Eh…no.  So if you have this test coming up, drink up, shudder a bit and say “Wow. That drink sucks.” and then move on with your day/life.  All I hope is that I don’t have GD and can skip having yet another “high risk” moniker on my chart thankyouverymuch.

After my ObDoc appointment, I went over the the MFM for my 24 week growth ultrasound.  I want to write more about this and post some pics, so the quick and short news is that everyone is OK.  I’m fine, the grrls are fine and growing really good 1lb 12 oz and 1lb 14 oz (in the 74th and 80th percentile).  Cerclage is holding really well, and now for the biggest news…

THE PLACENTA PREVIA HAS MOVED OFF THE CERVIX ENTIRELY!!!!

A lot of the achiness I have been feeling down low for several months has disappeared.  I had those last two big bleeding episodes and haven’t had anything but a bit of brown spotting since.  The ultrasound showed another blood clot above the internal cervical os, but hopefully once that is gone the bleeding episodes will be too.

I’m getting so excited for those who are so close to meeting their little ones.  Kate at Impatiently Waiting and Lisa at Meinsideout.  It’s so amazing to know that the end is in sight and they’ll meet their heart’s desire soon.  Wishing you both all the best for a safe and happy delivery.

17 comments on "Checkups and Ultrasounds and Migrations"

K on March 10, 2010 at 11:38 PM said...

Yay for migrating placentas (to GOOD places) and happy to hear your check up went so smoothly. So happy that you've made it to the safety zone threshold of the pregnancy and hope it gets better and better from here on out!!!

..Soo.See.. on March 11, 2010 at 5:20 AM said...

Awesome for the placentas off the cervix! Glad all checks went well, hope the antibiotics clear you up and that the rest of the pg goes SMOOTHLY!! :)

sprogblogger on March 11, 2010 at 5:56 AM said...

SO Fantastic about the former previa! And I'm glad everything else is looking so good. And a great big wahoo for being past 24 weeks!

Kate on March 11, 2010 at 6:51 AM said...

insanely happy for you-- NO PREVIA! no more bleeding! heck, that is just the greatest news ever.

happy nearly 25 weeks and very happy babymonsters.

so glad you are ok. You freaked me out a little there, not that I am all wrapped up in your story or anything. (eh hem).
Ok then!
happy happy happy to hear from you and to hear all of your great news. You have absolutely made my day.

with big love,
Kate

Kate on March 11, 2010 at 7:35 AM said...

Thanks for the "peer-reviewed studies" comment - that totally cracked me up. Just the kind of thing I tend to think. Has there been some metaanalysis done on ways to bring on labour? Guess I'm a bit of a geek!

Kate on March 11, 2010 at 7:38 AM said...

Oh, and now that I realized I hadn't read this post of yours, I'm so happy to read that your previa is gone!! And of course that the monsters are thriving and so big. You're growing some nice-sized babies, which is fantastic, especially when they're twins. Now that cerclage just has to keep on working well, and let's hope you cruise to at least 32 weeks without any high blood pressure or diabetes or anything.
(I shuddered at the end of my sugary orange drink too, but I've definitely had worse - like straight whiskey!)

Sunny on March 11, 2010 at 7:47 AM said...

You are rockin' it, girl!! Congrats on the awesome news, it makes my day. Hopefully you'll have some easy going of it for a while... it's about time!

Suzy, Not a Fertile Myrtle on March 11, 2010 at 8:22 AM said...

Great News!!!!

K on March 11, 2010 at 8:25 AM said...

All good. All good. You are cooking some big healthy babies in there! So I wouldn't worry about your lack of weight gain. I hope you are finding some ways to breath a little bit easier now. You've passed an important milestone (several actually) and are well on your way to the next. Should be a piece of cake soon!

Mrs. Gamgee on March 11, 2010 at 9:28 AM said...

Boo for an infection, but Yay for the previa moving itself! And Yay for gaining weight!

Photogrl on March 11, 2010 at 10:10 AM said...

What a wonderful update!

Go little monsters, grow! I'm so happy to hear that they're thriving and happy.

Yay, yay, YAY for the previa migrating!

jill on March 11, 2010 at 10:44 AM said...

Sending no-GD thoughts your way! So happy to hear everything is going well and yay for the placenta moving off your cervix! What a relief. Now, I hope the bleeding stops and the infection clears up very quickly.

Also, I just want to say thank you so much for your comment on my blog. The name calling definitely made me laugh! ;) The answer to your question is a bit too long for a comment - I plan to answer in a future post.

Clare on March 11, 2010 at 12:44 PM said...

Great to hear the placenta has moved - you must be relieved! Looking forward to hearing more updates xx

one-hit_wonder on March 12, 2010 at 1:32 PM said...

wonderful news!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear such good news! Yay!

Pie on March 13, 2010 at 7:23 AM said...

So glad to hear you are doing well, and the grrrls are growing away. Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Great news!!!! So glad to hear things are so great - and thanks for the shout out!

 

IF Optimist, then... Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved - Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez