Countoff Day 4 – Labor & Birth Multiples Class


Most of my Day 4 was spent going through some film logging business with the movie I had been working on back in Oct. and Nov.  I was a bit frustrated with communication problems and technical difficulties but I guess it’s a good thing because many hours zoomed past.  I also took care of some bill and insurance stuff, not exciting, but strangely enough I liked marking a few things off my to do list for the day.  All of this was easily done from a reclining position, I promised myself that I would take things extremely easy and am doing OK so far. I’m feeling great, babies seem to be happily jostling around. 

I saved a lot of energy because this evening was our first class offered by the hospital.  It’s official name “Labor and Birth Preparation – Multiples”.  It’s a two hour class held on 3 days – Monday (3/1), Wednesday (3/3) and Monday (3/8).  Did I find the class useful…eh…not so far.  Seems like if they require you to be at least 5-6 months along, its a waste of time to explain to us what twins are, fraternal vs. identical, etc.  Honestly this is the “basics” class, so I will be a bit more patient.  The next class should cover more specific stuff about this hospital’s rules on pain medication, intervention, etc.  They showed a bit of a lame DVD and the documentarian side of my brain kept going over about a thousand different ways I could have made the video more useful. I opted out of “floor exercises” which consisted of laying on your side and breathing slowly for 5 minutes.  I will note that they had the least comfortable chairs in the world to sit in and my preggo ass was turning quite numb despite having to move and slide and jostle for any position that would seem OK for more than 10 minutes.

I look forward tomorrow to catching up on blogs, until then I feel a stranger in a strange land.

10 comments on "Countoff Day 4 – Labor & Birth Multiples Class"

Anonymous said...

I sat on an exercise ball for the classes - those chairs are horrid - you can also use the ball to put your feet up!

Kate on March 2, 2010 at 5:38 AM said...

Man do I hate useless classes. That's part of why I picked hypnobirthing - I didn't think I could stand to go to traditional birthing classes when I've done Ob rotations and have delivered plenty of babies myself, as well as given OB anesthesia for hundreds of patients. I figured hypnobirthing would at least give me other ways to cope, and would give DH the basics of how birth works.

kimbosue on March 2, 2010 at 5:49 AM said...

Our 8 hour birthing class also had the most uncomfortable chairs on the planet. You would think they know that nothing but prego ladies are coming to these things. The least they could do is provide a nice cushy chair... I mean 8 hours is a long time!

Pie on March 2, 2010 at 6:32 AM said...

Glad to hear things are settling down. Although nothing irritates me more than useless classes. I hope it's better tomorrow. the days are just ticking by...

Sunny on March 2, 2010 at 8:22 AM said...

It's neat that they have a birthing class specifically for multiples -- that could be really helpful! I hope it picks up in the next two days, explaining fraternal versus identical twins sounds like something you'd present to second graders.

Three days to go!!!!

Photogrl on March 2, 2010 at 10:18 AM said...

I hope the next class is more useful!

THREE more days!

K on March 2, 2010 at 12:10 PM said...

Hi it's me the slacker checking in on you. Shit I am sorry to see you were admitted. Holy crap, you must have been freaked, but everything sounds so good, perfectly explainable, and your docs took the road of caution. Good for everyone. Good for takin it easy again. I know I overdid it myself a bit last weekend and am paying the price at home in bed. Hang in there, you are rounding the last corner to the magical 24!!! That's way cool that mr beep played hockey, btw. Way cool.

Kate on March 3, 2010 at 7:10 AM said...

Sending love to you
I've missed you madly
the only way sunday could have been *perfect* is if you'd been there, or we'd been with you--
I'm sorry to have been out of touch, and so sorry as I skim through to see so many scary things. But shit lady, are we on day2 now? PRAYING for peaceful everything.
can you eat chocolate? or is that too much caffeine?

thinking of you even when I was away and hoping for good things.
still am
thinking of you
hoping for good things

sending BIG love.
yeah, you know what I mean. BIG. and maybe bigger than that.

xoxo
Kate

Clare on March 4, 2010 at 2:43 PM said...

So glad to hear you are feeling good and babies are jiggling and wriggling around. However that class sounds uber frustrating - like duhh you don't say???

Christa on March 5, 2010 at 6:30 AM said...

Is there an update!?!?

 

IF Optimist, then... Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved - Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez