Ups & downs & everythings in between

It has been a bit of a crazy week.  First an update from my Ob/Gyn visit.  I saw my ObDoc on Wednesday and had a routine exam.  My labs for cultures and thyroid tests came back negative/normal (wooo!) I tested negative for being a carrier of cystic fibrosis (wooo!).  My blood pressure was 126/80 (only slightly elevated) and we heard two heartbeats with the doppler at 146 and 153 bpm.  I’ve gained 4.8 lbs since the beginning of my pregnancy, which doesn’t seem like a lot, but I was easily 35lbs overweight when I started.  I go back to the ObDoc at the beginning of February but I was doing fine as of Wednesday and was given the green light to do light exercise (walking, swimming, pre-natal yoga).

I am becoming a little more active, getting out for walks with MrBeep, shopping, running errands, working, etc.  I like it much better than taking it too easy.  I have been editing and working on some videography stuff.  I finished my friend’s wedding DVD before she headed off to Australia to visit her husband’s friends and relatives who couldn’t make the wedding.  In addition to the video editing work, I did a really fun photo slideshow set to the song “Lucky Day” by Judy Garland.  It turned out great and I was glad to get the creative workout. 

I also dragged my lazy ass to the computer and put on my photography hat.  I went through a photo shoot session I had with my friend Tiff and her then 9 month old baby.  I chose the best photos, did some retouching and sweetening, then took the top 3 and made a framed picture with a tri-cut mat and some additional art supplies.  I glued his name down a vertical and then added stickers with the words “adorable, laughing, marvelous, baby boy” in between the photo cut outs.  They had a dual birthday party (kids from 6p-9p and adults from 9p-12a) on Saturday.  I gave the framed picture and the other good prints to Tiff for her birthday.  For her son’s 1st birthday, we got him a 4-in-1 ride in car.  She says he digs it big time.

I think I may have overdone things a bit on Friday and Saturday.  I knew I was thirsty and should have stopped to get something to drink, but I thought that I’d be done soon and home.  I guzzled a good quantity of water before bed.  On Sunday morning at 6am, I woke up really needing to urinate and afterwards had a lot of cramps, but after an hour or so of resting, it calmed down.  I went back to sleep and woke up at 11am with more cramps that got worse (TMI-had a bowel movement – FINALLY).  Afterwards I had a lot of gas pain and an upset stomach and mild backache.  I called my ObDoc who was on call, she recommended I sip some baking soda and water (a bi-carb) and if that didn’t work after an hour, to go to the emergency room.  After another hour I still had a lot of gas pain and then severe cramps and then I became nauseated.  I vomited the water and baking soda (YUCK!!), then I became even more nauseous, and dizzy, and my hands started to shake.  MrBeep took me to the emergency room. I got a full work up – blood pressure normal, temp normal, urine sample normal, blood normal, and the nurse found two healthy heartbeats for the monsters with her doppler.  At no time did I have any spotting or bleeding.  After about 20 minutes, it all increased.  I had tons of pain in my sides, back and cramps in my belly, then I started to shake all over.  They started an IV drip.  After about 3-4 minutes I could feel my whole body relax and calm down, the effect was almost instantaneous.  A couple minutes after that, the nurse gave me an anti-nausea drug and a little pain killer into the IV.  Those things took the rest of the edge off and we stayed in the ER for a couple more hours so they could keep an eye one me.  Since I had so much pain in my sides (left side especially) and back, they did an ultrasound to check my internal organs -  kidneys, liver, pancreas, gall bladder - these all checked out OK.  The ultrasound tech also did a quick heart rate check on the kiddos, they were having a grand old time, doing fine, their heart rates normal.  I was less concerned about them because I could feel them moving and squirming all day.  The feeling was subtle, but unmistakable.  Thank goodness.  In the end, my release papers called it “Abdominal Pain, Uncertain Cause [Female].” I think it was the perfect storm of dehydration, indigestion, and constipation.  All of which got everything including my uterus to start aching and cramping. No fun.

Why am I telling you all of this disgusting stuff, 100% TMI with too many details?  It’s because I recognized my symptoms may be from dehydration as described by other bloggidy friends when they had trouble.  Had I not known this, I would have tried to suck it up at home and risked big problems.  After I came back from the ER, I noticed my sunken eyes with dark circles beneath them  I remembered how dark my urine had been in the last couple of days, etc.  I’m mad at myself for not keeping up and recognizing my lack of liquid intake.  The multiples book and other sources recommend 8 16 oz glasses of water/day.  Yes 128 oz.  That’s over 3 liters or a gallon per day.  Folks, that is a fuckton of liquid.  I didn’t drink a thimble’s worth, I didn’t drink a gallon.  I think I drank around a liter/day in the last few days leading to Sunday (BTW-why can’t the US just go metric?  I mean, c’mon really?)

I am being very good and monitoring my water intake and will do so from now on.  I feel fine and have felt great since about 5 minutes after the IV kicked in.  I will go tomorrow afternoon to the MFM specialist for my 16 week ultrasound.  I’m good.  The monsters are OK.  I thought about keeping this all to myself, lest I seem the drama queen, but then I remembered how much other posts help me, so…there it is.  Sending lots of love out on the wires of the internet to you all.

16 comments on "Ups & downs & everythings in between"

meinsideout on January 11, 2010 at 4:26 PM said...

So glad you posted about it - there is no such thing as TMI as far as I am concerned!!! And I am even happier that you are okay!

So glad that the monsters are okay - I need to drink more too - it does make a big difference - it has gotten harder since my stomach is probably as flat as a pancake now.

Truly enjoy the 2nd tri - it is the best - try to get most of what you need to do done - I am pretty big and I have 1/4 of the endurance that I had during the 2nd tri.

So happy for you!!!

K on January 11, 2010 at 4:42 PM said...

yes, no TMI in the world of IF sisters I think! That must have been so scary! Before pregnancy i drank maybe 2 glasses of water, a few glasses of caffeinated drinks and I've noticed if I go a day or two without hydrating properly I pay for it big time in all the areas you described. I've had quite a few scares that go away once I hydrate. I try to drink more milk, water with a splash of orange juice or lemon, and other ways to convince myself to drink more liquids! I hopet hat is the last of your scary ER episode!

Sunny on January 11, 2010 at 5:53 PM said...

Yes, please continue to post these things! We multiples mamas have to look out for each other -- as I am living proof, carrying two is NOT the same as carrying one.

I am so glad you are okay!

And that reminds me, I need more water.

Kate on January 11, 2010 at 6:04 PM said...

Sounds scary! I'm glad all is well. Water intake is really hard to keep up with. Though I think that while in my lazing-on-couch stage, I maybe overdid it with the water. My uterus gets worse if my bladder's full, and when I'm chugging water like there's no tomorrow, it gets pretty full pretty quick.
I think I'm slacking a little too much on the water now that I'm back at work though, so I'd better shape up.

Anonymous said...

Well, I am so glad that the whirlwind week ended with a solid learning and no damage.

We don't want operator overload, do we?

-WiseGuy(feeling a little lazy to sign in)

mekate on January 11, 2010 at 7:24 PM said...

sweetie pie! Ok, first, glad you are OK. Second and third , glad your monsters are ok. And so happy you posted this since I think it is so easy to discount what we feel when as your post so clearly shows, it is really important to take weirdness seriously. I am so glad you are ok!
Love to think of your squirming tenants, and so glad you are able to feel their motion. Coolest Thing Ever.

so glad you hear you here!

the infertile breeder on January 11, 2010 at 7:40 PM said...

Hooray for hydration! And double yippee for the monsters! Glad to hear you are okay. Keep taking excellent care of yourself. P.S. Yay for the metric system!

Amanda on January 11, 2010 at 7:57 PM said...

I LOVE your ticker!!! Absolutely adore it!

I'm so glad you and the monsters are OK. I'm also glad that you took the whole event seriously instead of waiting it out at home.

I could NOT get enough water when I was pregnant with the boys. I was just about ready to hook a hose to the faucet for a constant supply. I did get the lecture from my doc when I was somewhere around 20 weeks for not getting enough fluids.

I agree, we need to go metric here!

Rotten on January 11, 2010 at 8:54 PM said...

First of all, I am so glad you are OK! It is amazing how dehydration effects pregnancy isn't it? I was really bad at keeping hydrated until I went to the ER. Point taken thank you very much body for telling me to drink more water. Happy YOU are feeling much better now though and that the monsters are still happily swimming in their waiting room.

Kimbosue on January 12, 2010 at 9:00 AM said...

In the land of IF and pregnancy, there is no such thing as TMI. EVERYTHING is EVERYBODY'S business. Probably because we've all already done it!
Glad the monsters are still a'cookin'!

K on January 12, 2010 at 9:18 AM said...

Holy shit, well glad you jumped on the band wagon and got theeself to the hospital! And yes, I agree with Kimbosue, there is almost no TMI in IF. But I am SOOO happy to hear all is well with you and the monsters. It's ok to take it a little easier. We don't need to be martyrs in this game. And I read that section in the multiples book too and figured out that was a boatload of water. I love water, but trying to get that much in without tossing it up is nearly impossible.

Photogrl on January 12, 2010 at 11:48 AM said...

Holy cow! That had to be really scary!

I'm glad to hear that all 3 of you are just fine now...

And I'll be watching my water intake better from now on!

Mrs. Gamgee on January 12, 2010 at 2:53 PM said...

In this community, there is no such thing as TMI... really, we talk about having cameras shoved up our who-haas. What could be more tmi? So glad you and the monsters are ok!

And please keep posting... even the drama. Some of us are living slightly vicariously through you :)

Pie on January 12, 2010 at 6:06 PM said...

That sounds like it was a scary few moments there. Glad to hear you and the monsters are all ok, and that you know how to prevent it moving forward.

You're doing great though! 16 weeks! So great!!

The Steadfast Warrior on January 12, 2010 at 8:49 PM said...

Wow, scary. So glad you're doing okay now. Take care of yourself!! :)

Clare on January 13, 2010 at 7:06 AM said...

Glad to hear you're okay. Must keep up with that fluid intake lady! Tut tut! I always have bottles of water or drink that I like, around the house that I have to finish everyday to make sure I get my water intake for the day, i guess this is much more important for you now :)


IF Optimist, then... Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved - Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez