Emergency cerclage & bedrest


I went for my weekly cervix check with my peri, DrGav, on Tuesday.  I was a pretty happy and healthy little chick as I bebopped into the office. Things were great, I could feel the babies move here and there, a little tap, a slight jiggle when I didn’t expect it.  I had a walk in the sun the day before.  Life felt normal and good.  Got results back from karyotyping amnio test, but am still awaiting the final CGH microarray results.  So far no problems, but I want to save that post until all results are in.

As you may or may not recall, during my 16 week ultrasound, they noticed a blood clot right behind the top my cervix.  DrGav was concerned about this as it could cause irritation to the cervix and wanted me to see him for a cervical check every week until things looked fine.  A week later, I had a tiny bit of spotting and while the cervical check measured 3.5cm and closed, I was asked to come again in one week for another check.  On week later, two days ago, Tuesday came and I went in for my cervical check, which involves our good friend, dildocam, aka “Wanda”.  The babies were checked briefly, their heartbeats were fine and they seemed active.  Then the ultrasound tech started checking my cervix.  She looked both with the abdominal and vaginal transducer.  She had me move a bit and push to see how it was reacting.  She was very nice and didn’t give away too much, but at the end of the exam, told me to stay put and wait for DrGav as he may want to double check things himself.

He checked me out with Wanda and then started talking to me and the ultrasound tech.  He pointed out that the internal cervical os was completely open, that there was significant funneling (even I could see it with my untrained eye) and while my external os was currently closed, I had the beginnings of effacement.  The diagnosis:  Incompetent Cervix.  My cervix had gone in one week from 3.5cm and closed to .6cm with funneling.  I felt absolutely no cramping, no pain, no contractions and there was no spotting.  It’s very scary to know that it all could have been lost so easily.  The only thing keeping my babies from harm was my placenta previa.  The edge of the placenta of baby A was still stretched over the top of the cervix and acting as a bridge, keeping it from splitting wide open.  The previa was moving and getting near the edge of when it was going to break free.  A manual check of my cervix was also found to be very soft, which could allow for dilation starting at any time. 

DrGav and I discussed the situation.  We decided that this was all looking very dire.  His recommendation was to place a cervical cerclage.  He did an excellent job of answering all of my questions and describing the procedure, why he was choosing to do it, what type of stitch, etc.  He explained that he preferred the Shirodkar stitch technique. He also wanted to make sure the stitch was placed very high, closer to the internal os as he felt this has worked better for patients in the past.  I was actually very worried about having an incompetent cervix due to my prior uterine surgeries, so I had done many hours of reading on this subject.  I had no problem agreeing to the procedure.  Anything to keep them in here and safe was best.  Even with strict bedrest at 18 weeks, it was very unlikely that they would make it to viability, much less term.  DrGav checked his schedule and the OR at the hospital and we decided to do a cervical cerclage that same day in a few hours.  I went to the hospital, was put on intraveneous antibiotics and had the procedure with a general anesthetic four hours later.  MrBeep came to be with me after work and arrived a few minutes before I went to the OR.  He met with DrGav and discussed the procedure and asked questions.

According to DrGav (he talked to MrBeep after the surgery was complete) it went very smoothly.  I had no bleeding from the placenta, everything seemed to go very well and with no complications.  They checked the babies whose heartbeats were both doing fine. I awoke in recovery with little pain, was dispatched to a maternity ward room and rested for a couple of hours.  The contractions monitor they put on me showed no contractions after the procedure.  I had a tad bit of crampiness, like the day before AF arrives with a vengeance, but it was managed with medicine. I went home that night around 9pm.  I didn’t want to stay in the hospital and DrGav said I could go home if I felt fine.  I had a little bleeding just after the surgery and it’s fading to a smaller amount and today it is just a little bit of pink on the TP.

I am on modified bedrest until my next appointment with DrGav on Tuesday 2/2.  I have a friend who is unemployed right now over as my “official babysitter” for the next few days.  We are giving him a little $ to help him out.  He cooks my food, keeps me company and we needed to do some movie production work this week, so it really turned out well for us both.

Even though this all seems scary and nerve wracking, I am glad and so relieved that we caught it in time.  Many women who have an Incompetent Cervix don’t find out until they have had a pregnancy loss.  It is more common with twins and is most likely to happen between 18-22 weeks.  DrGav is hoping if the cerclage is holding well that I won’t have to be on bedrest for too long, but we’ll see.  I have my little countdown calendar on my browser.  I have 36 days to go until viability (24 weeks), my first goal.  Hoping that in the end it all works out and my monsters are with me for as long as possible. 

41 comments on "Emergency cerclage & bedrest"

k on January 28, 2010 at 7:39 PM said...

Oh my goodness. I am SO thankful they caught this in time. Thank GOODNESS they were monitoring you. I had to read the line about the placenta previa saving this pregnancy over and over again. It gave me chills. Thank GOD they caught it in time. Thinking of you and hoping the cerclage will do its job and you and your monsters will be A-OK.

Speaking of monsters, if you're in the mood for on-line shopping, Children's Place is having a big sale and they have monster onesies for $2. I saw them and thought of you. *hugs*

none on January 28, 2010 at 7:53 PM said...

Yikes, what a lucky break. Thank goodness you're being carefully watched. I know you'd spend 36 days standing on your head, if it kept the monsters safe. Take it easy for realz!

Ann on January 28, 2010 at 7:54 PM said...

Thinking of you and the little ones. Stay put and try to enjoy the down time. So grateful you've got a doctor who's watching you so closely.

Big virtual hugs and positive vibes going out to you and the kids. XOXO

Mad Hatter on January 28, 2010 at 8:15 PM said...

Holy moly! How fortunate that it was caught in time! Your doctor sounds amazing! I'm so sorry you had to go through such a scary time, and that you have to be on bedrest, but it sounds like you're handling it all really well under the circumstances. Thinking of you and crossing fingers and toes that you and the monsters are safe and cozy.
Love,
Maddy

Sunny on January 28, 2010 at 8:22 PM said...

Wow! I'm sure that was terrifying to go through! But I'm glad you are not overly anxious about it now. Like you, I've obviously done reading about incompetent cervix and cerclage, and that cerclage can really do amazing things for women. Please keep us posted, I will think of you daily. We'll be bedrest pals. :)

Anonymous said...

Yikes! I'm so glad you caught this and that things look good so far. And that you have someone to help you while you're on bedrest.

Take care

The Steadfast Warrior on January 28, 2010 at 8:46 PM said...

OMG! I saw the title of this post in my Reading List and had a momentary freak-out on your behalf. I BEYOND happy that everything went well and you and the monsters are okay. So very glad you caught this early. Take care of yourself and I hope having your friend around keep syou from going bed-rest crazy!

FET Accompli on January 28, 2010 at 8:57 PM said...

What a day that must have been. You sound so cool, calm and collected. You knew what had to be done, and you did it like a pro. Thank goodness that this was caught in time.

Rotten on January 28, 2010 at 9:32 PM said...

Ahhhh bed rest. I caught up on a lot of TV and web surfing on mine. :) I am so glad that you caught it in time. WOW SCARY!! Keep us posted. We worry about you! If you get bored, just let me know... I'll help in any way I can.

..al on January 28, 2010 at 10:09 PM said...

I am so so so thankful that you were at the right place at the right time and IN the right hands....

I am so happy that it is all controlled and under careful observation now...Am sending you tons of positive vibes...and hope that the babies will stay put for several weeks...till they are perfectly okay to arrive...

Good Luck!

Clare on January 28, 2010 at 11:09 PM said...

You are such a trooper! It sounds very scary but you seemed to be so calm under pressure. Glad you are being looked after so well... stay safe and sound wee monsters!

Beautiful Mess on January 29, 2010 at 1:51 AM said...

wow! glad you have such amazing care! hang in there! sending you lots of juju and love!
*HUGS*

'Murgdan' on January 29, 2010 at 2:54 AM said...

Wow...I'm thinking of you and hoping all goes well. Sounds like you have some great doctors to have been monitoring you so closely with cervical checks too, and I am so glad they caught this in time to take some intervention. Hang in there monsters!

Megan on January 29, 2010 at 4:00 AM said...

I'm so glad that you caught this. I don't know much about such things, but i'm thinking of you.

sprogblogger on January 29, 2010 at 5:02 AM said...

Oh geez, how absolutely terrifying. And, um, how wonderful that the placenta previa kept things from going bad? I'm absolutely astounded by that bit of info. Cerclage can do amazing things - my cousin has a healthy happy 3 year old who wouldn't be here without it, and it's a fantastic tool. I hope you're not too bored by the bedrest, but I also hope you're takin' it easy for many many many more weeks to come. Thinking of you & your monsters!

Anonymous said...

You are amazing - already an amazing mother to your monsters. I am so incredibly happy that they were able to discover this now.

One of my friends (pregnant with one) had her cerclage removed at 36 weeks - ten days ago - and she is still waiting for labor.

I am thinking of you - I am also on modified bed rest and I do not recommend "wife swap" on daytime television - my stepson loves it and it is torture for me to sit here and watch it!

I will keep you, Mr. B and the monsters in my thoughts.

Shannon on January 29, 2010 at 6:03 AM said...

Thank goodness they caught it in time! Glad you and the monsters seem to be doing ok for the time being, and hope that cerclage gets you well into your 30's (weeks)

Barefoot on January 29, 2010 at 6:08 AM said...

Oh, wow. I'm so glad your doctor caught this, but am so sorry you're having to face another difficult situation. Thinking good thoughts for you and your monsters -- and your cervix!

Pie on January 29, 2010 at 6:50 AM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pie on January 29, 2010 at 6:50 AM said...

Wow, what a day! I'm so so glad your doc was cautious and having you come in every week. That's a good doc you have there! Please take it easy, let your friend and MrBeep wait on you.

Kathy on January 29, 2010 at 7:05 AM said...

Your twin pregnancy seems to be so similar to mine. At just about 19 weeks my cervix also was down to about 0.5 with funnelling. My doc advised against a cerclage, but I wound up on hospital bedrest for the duration of my pregnancy. I carried my twins to term (planned c-section at 36 weeks). It is a very scary situation. Stay positive, take it very easy and stay horizontal as much as possible!

kimbosue on January 29, 2010 at 8:06 AM said...

Oh my! I am so glad your doc had you going in weekly for cervix checks. YAY that they caught it in time. HUGS to you and stay in that bed!

K on January 29, 2010 at 9:11 AM said...

Your header popped up in my preview window and I literally shouted Holy Shit! What to say, except thankfully you were in the right place at the right time and not a minute too soon. So I'm sorry you're on bedrest now, but it looks like everything is working out. Does that mean I'll catch you loitering on FB a little more??? Hee hee. Even better that you have a helper at home. Could you send him my way when you're done with him??

G$ on January 29, 2010 at 9:19 AM said...

So glad they caught it! Thinking of you and hoping everything stays nice and mellow.

Kate on January 29, 2010 at 11:12 AM said...

Wow, so scary! It's wonderful that they found it in time (thank God for the previa, as you said!) and were able to fix you up the same day. I hope the next few weeks of bedrest and the cerclage will fix things and you can get out and about again.
Great news that the monsters are still doing well and that the prelim results are good.
Hope you don't go nuts on bedrest!

Photogrl on January 29, 2010 at 12:29 PM said...

I'm SO glad that you have wonderful docs looking out for you...that had to be such a scary situation!

Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way...

one-hit_wonder on January 29, 2010 at 3:15 PM said...

wow, i'm so happy your doc caught that in time.

Jessica White on January 29, 2010 at 4:11 PM said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so glad the doctor caught it and was able to do something. Prayfully between bedrest and the cerclage you'll be good!

JJ on January 29, 2010 at 7:23 PM said...

First, so so glad all was caught in time--such a scary situation! I know how tough bed rest can be--any reading material I can send ya?
Sounds like the monsters are doing great--just snuggling in and unaware of all the drama their momma went through recently! Take care of you!

Mrs. Gamgee on January 29, 2010 at 8:22 PM said...

Oh my stars... forgive me if I sound a little televangelist-like, but praise God that you have a good doc and even that you have placenta previa!

Sending many prayers and good thoughts your way...

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad they caught IC in time, and it sounds as though your cerclage was well-placed. Scary time for you though!

rebecca on January 30, 2010 at 12:06 PM said...

Wow, how scary...so glad they caught it in time & that your doc is monitoring you so closely!

Kate on January 30, 2010 at 1:31 PM said...

HOLY SHIT and Alleluia-- so very glad you were being closely monitored and so VERY glad they caught it and were able to intervene. Oh Traci, good lord lady, who would have thought that pesky placenta previa would be the thing that held things together???

So glad you are ok, and oh how scary and OH how lucky (and unlucky all at once), and oh my my.

I'd say, enough drama for now, m'k? And hoping all of this will be FINE and time will pass and monsters will gestate until fully cooked, and then-- when everyone is good and ready, they'll make their appearance.

Thinking of you and sending love and hugs. It is so great your friend is helping you out, that sounds like a win-win situation.
xox
Kate

Anonymous said...

I had an emergency cerclage at 19 weeks. I had lost a baby due to incompetent cervix back in 2003, so I was having weekly cervix checks as well. After the cerclage, I went all the way to 38 weeks (even though the cerclage was removed at 36 weeks). It was scary, but it saved my baby's life. You are very fortunate to have caught this. Kudos to your doctor and good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!

One Who Understands on January 31, 2010 at 4:33 PM said...

I read your post a few days ago and only now have the time to comment. So sorry.

It scared me beyond belief. I cannot believe it was almost all lost. I am so grateful it is ok and they caught it. Still keeping you and the monsters in my thoughts and prayers.

K on February 2, 2010 at 8:42 AM said...

Hi...just dropping by to wish you well on your appointment today.

jill on February 2, 2010 at 9:06 AM said...

Oh my gosh, how scary! So sorry to hear about this but I'm happy that everything seems to be going well. Stay in there monsters!!

Kate on February 3, 2010 at 1:16 PM said...

Are you really almost halfway there? almost at 20 weeks?
Hope you are ok- comfortable, mentally stimulated, not going nuts,

XOXO
thank you for your sweetness Traci!
love,
Kate

Delenn on February 4, 2010 at 5:56 AM said...

Glad to hear that it was caught in time and all is okay! Thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

Hi there - just checking in to see how you were holding up.

Brooke on February 4, 2010 at 10:36 AM said...

Hope you are doing well!

 

IF Optimist, then... Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved - Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez