Are you kidding me?


I went in this morning for my suppression check.  I have been put on the micro-dose lupron protocol, and I have just finished 14 days of birth control pills.  The first part of the suppression check is getting a blood draw.  The good news is I got my favorite phlebotomist. She is awesome.  I hardly feel a pinch and she never leaves a bruise.  The test today is for checking my estrogen (E2) level.  They do this to make sure that there is no rise in estrogen.  A rise would indicate the birth control pills weren’t doing their job to suppress my natural  hormone response.

Next I was taken into the changing room and given my paper sarong.  I asked the nurse what they were looking for in the ultrasound.  She said they are looking to see all of the follicles in the ovary were still roughly the same size and that there wasn’t a follicle growing much larger than the others.  They are also looking to make sure there are no cysts present.

The doctor called me into the exam room (DrT) and thus began my date with the dildocam.  First she checked the state of my uterine lining, then she measured my uterus.  Both looked OK.  She checked my right ovary next and there it was.  A large black follicle much larger than any of the others and measured at 14mm.  Even I could tell right away it was a problem. 

Dammit.  FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFuck.

By the way, I think that it sucks I can now understand what I am seeing on a pelvic ultrasound.  DrT then checked the left ovary and that one was fine.  No large empty spaces, no indication of cysts.  Good ole lefty.  “OK.  So what does this big follicle mean?” I asked DrT.  She said that my estrogen levels are an important indicator to determine what comes next.  If they are high, then it means this large follicle may have and egg and may be producing lots of estrogen.  Since it would be way ahead of the other follicles it would be bad to start IVF drugs.  If my estrogen level is low, then this may be just a cyst and we might be able to proceed.  I was told to go home and wait for the test results.  I went home and told MrBeep <sigh>.

Several hours later my phone rang and I talked to the nurse.  The good news is that my estrogen level is low (40 = yay!) and that I should order my meds on Monday.  I am scheduled to come in again on Thursday morning where they plan to do another ultrasound.  The nurse explained that now I am no longer taking birth control pills that I would likely have a “withdrawl bleed” and they are hoping that the cyst will collapse on its own during that time.  I am to bring my lupron with me and if it looks good I’ll take the shot at the RE’s office and the cycle will proceed. 

I  did notice yesterday while I was working on my laptop that my right side had a few sharp pains just left of my hip bone, like it does when I have, oh I dunno, a cyst perhaps?  I thought, “Shit.  I hope that’s not what I think it may be.”  It was.  Anyone want to come over and punch me in the ovary?  Maybe that’ll pop the bastard.

Just for the record, I didn’t have a cyst two weeks ago during my baseline ultrasound. I watched the monitor.  DocO was very thorough in checking.  All looked wonderful.  I was curious and decided to google ovarian cysts.  Do you know what they recommend to prevent them?  C’mon fancy a guess?  Birth control pills.  Exactly what I’ve been taking for the last 14 days. Are you kidding me?

So I’m where?  Oh yeah, that’ right.  Waiting.  Again.  More to come on Thursday.

14 comments on "Are you kidding me?"

none on August 2, 2009 at 5:33 PM said...

Oh no, OH NO! C'mon, I need you to cycle with me. I don't want to be stuck alone with those goofy newbie IVF-ers on Inspire! ;-)

I will send brain waves to that stupid cyst this week. "Die you little turd, die!" That should do it.

Sunny on August 2, 2009 at 5:33 PM said...

Ugh! Not entirely bad news, but not entirely comforting, either. I hope the cyst goes away now that you are off the BCPs. Regardless of the logic of that. Because really, we IFers are used to dispensing with logic, right?

So, am I understanding this right... you are taking no meds between now and Thursday? I'm trying to keep up. :)

Oh, and I forgot to ask you when we got together, what is the story behind the nickname "MrBeep"? I'm sorry if it's explained somewhere obvious and I missed it. :)

Kate on August 2, 2009 at 6:12 PM said...

Well, I started out with a nice low E2 but 3-4 1.3-1.7cm cysts left over from the previous IVF cycle this time around. And things worked out ok. The followed them and my E2 for a few days, and the E2 rose really slowly, the cysts slowly shrunk a little, but were probably still 1.3-1.4cm when I started stims.
I think you'll be ok. Sure hope so!

JJ on August 2, 2009 at 6:24 PM said...

Im sorry for the waiting--what a pain to be in limbo! Sorry about that=( Will be thinking of you this week and hoping for the best outcome on Thursday!

FET Accompli on August 2, 2009 at 8:58 PM said...

That's super frustrating - but it can be totally manageable. I also had a cyst during my second egg retrieval. I went for an appointment, they checked me out and said "Huston, we have a problem". (Lovely, eh?) But the doctor immediately followed this by saying that this could easily be dealt with. The next day, they scheduled the operating room and with the single pop of a needle (it was over before I knew it), they burst the cyst and all was well, we were able to proceed with the retrieval during that cycle

Beautiful Mess on August 2, 2009 at 9:37 PM said...

Tell that cyst to go away or I will come hunt it down!

Sorry it wasn't better news. Sending you lots of love and good JUJU!
*HUGS*

..al on August 3, 2009 at 5:37 AM said...

Hello! Withdrawal Bleeding sounds so much fun NOT.

I had a cyst, that was aspirated right before the stimming began.

Good Luck to you!

..al on August 3, 2009 at 5:40 AM said...

P.S. I was aware of the aspiration happening and could listen to conversation, even though my lower half was put to sleep (Anesthesized). And I was more scared looking at the doc's reaction to the juice leaving the cyst. Docs had been calling it a chocolate cyst, but when it was aspirated, there was a purulent material getting drained. Sent to the path lab, it came out sterile, and that is when I got the go-ahead to compete in the next level.

Kate on August 3, 2009 at 12:05 PM said...

Why is having a big cyst bad? The reason I ask is that around the time I conceived I felt the type of pain you describe and for me it was so bad I had to take medicine. The Doctor looekd at my ovaries and saw a huge-o cyst but made nothing of it. Can that affect a pregnancy?

Sorry for being so ignorant :(

Phoebe on August 3, 2009 at 4:46 PM said...

Cyst, cyst, go away, don't come back, no way! Ok, that was silly, but you get the point!

One Who Understands on August 4, 2009 at 8:57 AM said...

Sucks! Well hopefully your next u/s will reveal no cyst. Don't you just love when meds don't do what they are supposed to do. Sending positive vibes your way.

Kate on August 4, 2009 at 11:28 AM said...

dang nabbit Traci, that sucks rocks, except, of course, if it doesn't. hope all is well thursday and you can move forward with the cycle.

Why do the hard things have to be harder than That even?
hugs to you too, but gentle on the right side.

Kate

Clare on August 4, 2009 at 3:58 PM said...

Hope the annoying cyst deflates itself over the next few days - wishing you so so so much luck!!

darkblack on August 11, 2009 at 9:45 AM said...

The waiting is so difficult. I sympathize. At least things are progressing, even though there are a few bumps in the road.

 

IF Optimist, then... Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved - Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez