28w3d - Good golly growing babies Batman!


Thank you all for checking on me.  I am out of my routine (with my babysitters hovering) and am trying to set aside time for writing and reading and commenting.  Also, I’ve been lying low for the last week or so.  Skulking around and just relaxing, trying to make it to 28 weeks and I did it.  I’m so happy about that.  Getting through the goals you set in your mind gives such a great sense of forward momentum, that you are doing something right (even if that thing is just laying on a bed, being a lame lazyass). 

My first goal was 12 weeks (I’m sure many have been there or are getting there).  It went by slowly then quickly.  Strange bursts of time that surprise you when viewing a calendar, then sometimes days that seem to go on forever.  The next goal was 16 weeks, just because it was another month down and I could get amnio and results to help set my mind at ease.  I was so fortunate to finally get good results and know that I’ve got two little grrl monsters baking away.  I made my next mental goal to be 20 weeks.  I had a tough and frightening time of that with the emergency cerclage, but in the end realized just how fortunate I was to have it caught just in the nick of time.  The next mental goal of 24 weeks was really tough and scary.  There were hospital visits and bleeding and so much time spent alone with my nightmarish thoughts.  That was the worse of it all, but I got through it.  It’s interesting because we all have that “24 weeks = viability” idea stuck in our heads. 

DrGav once told me at 23w while I was leaving the hospital, “Traci, we have a way to go, you need to rest, be a princess on the couch.  It’s against my DNA to deliver babies before 28 weeks.”  My ObDoc pretty much echoed the same thing.  28 weeks was their mental goal for a minimum time for babies, not 24.  I understood why they would know this so much better than me.  They’ve seen the difference.  I made 28 weeks my next firm goal.  We got my rotating shift of babysitters and I have kept very strict to my bedrest.  Last week I saw DrGav at 27w6d for an office visit, he came to my exam room dressed in scrubs, he seemed very concerned and a little grim.  He let me know that I was doing fine, the cerclage was holding and the babies were looking good, although their amniotic fluid was still a little high.  He told me what medicine to take to help and then he said, “OK Traci.  Congratulations on making it to 28 weeks.  You’re doing a great job, please keep up the good work.  I’ve got to go now, wish me luck.  I have to run off to deliver a baby that is only at 25 weeks.”  My heart dropped into an abyss for that woman.  I looked at DrGav and could tell he was genuinely sad and worried.  I gave him a hug and wished him luck.  He accepted the hug and squeezed my hands and he was off.

Hitting the 28 week mark has taken a great burden of despair and worry from my mind.  Also much of my physical pain and crampiness has been gone for a couple of weeks.  Finally another bit of encouraging news came today at my growth ultrasound.  The babies measured 3 lbs 5oz and 3 lbs 6 oz.  They are in the 90th percentile for growth and while some of this may be due to my gestational diabetes, a lot is also from sticking to the high protein twins diet the clinic has me on.  I am still a little underweight (at 28 weeks, I have only gained about 20 lbs) but DrGav said not to worry abou6t this because the high protein and the babies size is more important than just weight gain.  We also were able to see and measure the grrls practicing breathing.  Each one gets the hiccups from time to time.  These are all good indicators of their progress and pushes me to believe that soon this will be over and I’ll have a crazy time keeping up with crying and feeding and nappies and cuddles.

I have made my next goal 31 weeks (3 weeks away instead of 4), then 34w (DrGav’s next goal) and finally 37w (aka “full term”).  I’ll take any, but I hope for all.  Sending out much love to all of you watching clocks and calendars.  I love to cheer when we reach milestones.   WOOOOOOOOOT!

24 comments on "28w3d - Good golly growing babies Batman!"

Clare on April 6, 2010 at 2:12 AM said...

Congrats on reaching 28 weeks! I knew you would get there - you're one determined lady. I am wishing you on to 37 weeks you know! But step by step you'll get to your next goal. Thinking of you all the time xx

kimbosue on April 6, 2010 at 4:52 AM said...

YAY for 28 weeks!
YAY for reaching another milestone!

Grow babies, grow!
Stay babies, stay!

XOXO

sprogblogger on April 6, 2010 at 4:55 AM said...

Hurrah for 28 weeks! Milestones reached are the best, and I'll be cheering you on for each on in turn. On to 31 weeks! Come on Grrl monsters!

Mrs. Gamgee on April 6, 2010 at 5:35 AM said...

28 weeks!!! How awesome is that?

I totally get the small incriments of time. Right now I'm focussing on 8 weeks and a heartbeat.

Sending many many prayers for your next targets, for peace of mind, and for strong growing grrl monsters!

aimeemax on April 6, 2010 at 6:39 AM said...

Wow - time is so weird the way it goes fast and slow all at once.

Congrats on making 28wks, it's so much safer then 24 that is for sure!

Fingers crossed you're baking those wee grrls til at least 37 weeks.

:)

..al on April 6, 2010 at 6:42 AM said...

*throwing a mini-dance in your honour*....Yay for 28 weeks...and I hope it is nothing less that the golden 37 marker for you....

I am also happy that you have stayed away for such good reasons. Take Good Care....and I hope that the other lady's kid (born at 25 weeks) would pull through well.

I love your step-to-step approach. It reduces the reigning chaos and focuses attention on the present and immediate goal.

Hurry for you!

..al on April 6, 2010 at 6:44 AM said...

*Hurray*....was hungry, so kind of chomped up the 'a' in the previous comment.

G$ on April 6, 2010 at 6:59 AM said...

28 weeks! Awesomesauce! Keep on truckin, the next milestones will be here before you know it.

By the way, thank you for the mini milestones idea, it's helping me tremendously.

xoxox

Suzy, Not a Fertile Myrtle on April 6, 2010 at 8:14 AM said...

Yay for another milestone of 28 weeks. Great news!

K on April 6, 2010 at 8:35 AM said...

Congrats on 28 weeks! Yeah 24 is the marker where at least we know our baby has a chance, however small and bleak- but 28 weeks. . . your odds skyrocket and from here on out it just gets better and better! Thinking of you!

Sunny on April 6, 2010 at 9:17 AM said...

28 weeks is an awesome milestone!! Way to grow those girls... I just love chunky babies. (And it's clearly all about what *I* love!) :)

I know these things are in the hands of a higher power, but I truly believe you'll be here in my place in 9-10 weeks. Epic belly and hours away from meeting your full-term twins. You are always in my thoughts and prayers!

Lucky Jones on April 6, 2010 at 10:24 AM said...

Congratulations on making it to 28 weeks!! I too had my own milestones.. NOW I am at 38 weeks wth my babies and will be having them the day after tomorrow! It snuck up on me :)

Treasure every little squirm, kick, and hiccup you get because you are almost there!!

Kate on April 6, 2010 at 2:15 PM said...

Congrats on 28 weeks! That was my mental major goalpost too, and after that I just relaxed, knowing she'd likely be fine even if she came then.
Will be cheering you on to 31 and then 34 weeks now. So happy the cerclage is doing its thing and the babies are growing like weeds.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on reaching this goal! It's all about baby steps, right? Keep doing what you are doing and you'll get there in no time.

Sending big hugs to you & to your grrls!

Rotten on April 6, 2010 at 8:05 PM said...

Congratulations. What a wonderful goal to reach.

Kate on April 7, 2010 at 9:02 AM said...

WHOOOOOOOOT!

Yeah babies!!!!!

super news for ALL of you-- so very very happy Traci. YAY.

and Yay for the break from pain and cramping, I wish on you BORINGNESS.

Xoxox
with big love,
Kate

K on April 7, 2010 at 9:43 AM said...

I knew you could do it. Congrats and thanks for the update! Their growth rates are amazing. I think mine are just now hitting those weights. It won't be long now. Get your nursery and stuff together...the rest of those weeks sneak up on you. YAY! So so so happy for you, my dear!

Photogrl on April 7, 2010 at 7:18 PM said...

Yay for another milestone!!!

I know what you mean about the time going slow and flying...just hit 24 weeks here.

Way to go grrls...great weights!

Beautiful Mess on April 8, 2010 at 8:36 PM said...

WOOOHOOO!!!! I'm so proud of you listening to your doctors! I will say a prayer of thanks for your babies and a prayer for the woman your doctor was going to.
*HUGS*

Rotten on April 11, 2010 at 9:54 AM said...

Haven't heard from you in a bit. Just checking in. :)

Christa on April 13, 2010 at 8:05 PM said...

Update???

Kate on April 15, 2010 at 9:30 AM said...

Hope you are ok!
thinking about you a lot, and hoping everyone is ok

30 weeks tomorrow HOLY CRAP!

xoxo
kate

Brooke on April 15, 2010 at 11:56 AM said...

Hope you and the babies are doing well!!! 30 weeks tomorrow? WOW!!!

One Who Understands on April 16, 2010 at 7:38 AM said...

So happy you are moving right along! Checking in to see how you are doing. Hoping you didn't have a surprise delivery. Thinking of you friend. Hugs!!

 

IF Optimist, then... Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved - Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez